Sunday 14 October 2012

Summoning Soup

Upon returning home on Thursday afternoon, I was not in a good mood. Having nearly slept through my last lecture, knowing I would be going back to a freezing cold house, I dragged myself home with one thing on my mind: going to bed.
A friend on my course, Tom, who I was walking home with had something else on his mind: lunch. His plan was to have some soup and lots of bread.
The thought of soup was then far more exciting than pyjamas and bed and it made walking up Stanmore Lane a little easier.

I got to work on my soup and suddenly saw a little head poke round kitchen door.  It was my housemate, Sam, who had been drawn downstairs by the smell of the soup. A few minutes later another  head poked round the door and it was Mel, coming to investigate what smelled so good.
So it appears I can summon my house mates with the smell of my cooking. I may see if this works at 8 in the morning!

If you plan on summoning people with the power of smell, here is the recipe for my lentil and tomato soup:

20gm vegetable oil
1 onion
2 garlic cloves
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
375gm red lentils
1 veg cube
800gm water
1 tin of tomatoes (400gm)
2Tbsp tomato puree

1) Put the onion and garlic in the bowl and chop 10sec/ speed 8
2) Add the turmeric and oil and sauté 100°c/ 2 mins/ speed 1
3) Add lentils, stock and water and cook 100°/ 20 mins/ speed 2 REVERSE blade (unless you want smush!)
4) Add the tomatoes, tomato puree and cook 100°/ 5 mins/ speed 2

I used 1000g of water, but this was too much as it kept bubbling over the top, so I had to take some out.
This cost about £1.61 to make, and made 3 servings. So each one was about 54p each, much cheaper than a 75p tin of Heinz Tomato Soup that Tom would tucking in to. And much yummier.

I also did some cost comparison with Sam who made a lasagne. Because I'm a vegetarian, I didn't take into account the price of the fillings, just the sauces.
He bought a jar of sauce for his meat and a jar of cheese sauce, which were £1.75 each.
The sauce for my lasagne came to about 65p and my cheese sauce came to 35p. So that is just £1.
Fairly impressive I'd say.

No comments:

Post a Comment