Thursday 4 October 2012

I started this post 3 days ago...

One of the first skills you master when you begin university is the art of procrastination.
Everything that once was dull is suddenly very interesting and it is very, incredibly, terribly important that your time is spent on this newly wonderful task.
For example, today I've learnt that the state of Louisiana got its name from the French word meaning 'Land of Louis', named for the King Louis the 14th.
I also learnt that giraffes can go without water longer than camels can.
And the continents names all end with the same letter with which they start.
See, wasn't that a brilliant use of my time?

One of the best forms of procrastination however, is when it comes to dinner time.
What makes this time so brilliant is that you have to have dinner, so you don't feel guilty about cooking.
It is therefore necessary to drag this process out as long as possible.

And this is terribly annoying when you have a Thermomix.

One thing I thought I could rely on to take a long time was a veggie lasagne, as it normally takes me ages cooking on the hob. True to form, Stanley proved me wrong and whipped one up in no time.
Here is what I did:

For lasagne filling:
1 onion
2 cloves of garlic
20g oil
2 carrots
1 red pepper
A handful or so of green beans
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 can of green lentils
1 Tbsp tomato puree
1tsp mixed herbs

Some lasagne sheets

Cheese sauce:
20g butter
20g plain flour
200g milk
Pepper
40g cheese

1) Add onion and garlic, chop 5 sec/ speed 5, add oil and sautĂ© 100°c/ 2 mins/ sp 2
2) Add carrot, pepper and beans and chop speed 7 for a few seconds (I over chopped mine and had lasagne that resembled baby food!)
3) Add the tomatoes, tomato puree, lentils and mixed herbs and cook on reverse blade 100°c/ sp 1/ 15 minutes
4) Then put this in an oven proof dish and make the cheese sauce, don't worry about washing out the TM bowl.
5) Add all the cheese sauce ingredients into the bowl, chop 10 seconds, speed 6
6) Insert butterfly whisk, cook 5 minutes/ 90 °c/ 5 minutes.
7) Remove butterfly whisk, blend 5 seconds, speed 8 with no heat.
8) Put the lasagne sheets on top of the lasagne filling, then pour on the cheese sauce.
9) Put into an oven heated at about 180°c for about 15 minutes, until the pasta is soft.

This made about 500 portions (ok about 4/5), it was huge!

Unfortunately this wasn't very difficult to make and being able to leave it meant that I had no choice but to do some work whilst I was waiting. 
And by work, I mean I was catching up on QI on iPlayer.

Another skill that is developed when you become a student is how to eat everything in your fridge in one go because everything is past its sell-by date.
I'm going home for the weekend and I didn't want to leave vegetables in the fridge whilst I was away because they wouldn't last.
So on Wednesday night I made a 'throw everything in and see what happens' curry.
It had:

1 onion
20gm oil
The last of my new potatoes, broccoli, green beans and a red pepper, which came to about 500 grams
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
1 tin of chick peas
Tomato puree
Various spices that I found in the cupboard, like cumin and turmeric, about 1tsp of each

1) Add the onion and chop 5 seconds, speed 5
2) Having the memories of last nights baby-food lasagne, I chopped the veg myself and added them, along with the tomatoes, tomato puree, chick peas and spices and cooked on reverse blade at 100°c/ speed spoon/ for 20 minutes. 

Et voilĂ , my experimental curry was complete! I had the rest for dinner tonight, so my fridge is empty which can only mean it is time to go home and empty the fridge there! 

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I've just popped over from UK Thermomix FB and want to say how much I enjoyed reading your blog posts. I am currently a Thermo-wanna-have and found your posts fresh and pacey, which is what I hope my cooking woill be like if ever I get round to making that big Termo-step. I will look in on your blog again. Best wishes this year at Uni.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment. I'm really glad you are enjoying it.
      I hope you make the big Thermo-step soon, you'll honestly not know how you ever cooked without it and will pinch yourself for not buying one sooner!

      Delete