Friday 13 September 2013

I'm back!

I'm back, I'm back, I'm back!

Apologies for being blog-less for THIS long. The end of semester was chock-a-block with deadlines and exams and then the summer holidays happened and I was busier than I was before. Working and visiting people and my poor little blog got pushed further and further down my list of priorities.

But I'm back now. Promise.

In my absence, 2 of the best birthday cakes ever were made for my brother and I, as you can see.



Now before you ask, yes the Princess Castle cake was for my brother. I call him Princess. I would say it is a long story, but to be honest there isn't a story behind it; I just call him Princess.
These cakes were made in Vera (the Thermomix at home) and I'd say they are fairly impressive!


Secondly: have you got the new Chocolate book?
I <3 Chocolate, I <3 Thermomix is probably the best book in the history of books and has been my bedtime reading for the past month.
Some of the things I've made include the Chocolate and Coffee cake (which was amazing), the White Chocolate Carrot Cake (which was amazing) and the Chocolate Sorbet (which was amazing). 
Noticing a theme?
Also, I seem to have a lot more people 'just popping over for a cuppa' since getting it. Suspicious. 


Thirdly, I'm going back to University next week and in preparation I'm stocking up on essentials to take with me whilst taking advantage of my mother's well stocked spice cupboard.

These are the things I've made thus far:
1. Harissa Paste (from the newly re-vamped Demonstrator's Delights book, page 66). I cannot begin to describe how amazing this smelt. It took about 30 seconds to make in Vera and produced a lot- enough to fill a big mayonnaise jar. In total it cost £4.88 to make, so not that pricy compared to shop-bought paste. But this will last for ages, is incredibly versatile and unbelievably delicious.

2. Tikka Paste (from the Fast and Easy Indian Cooking book, page 17). I halved the quantities suggested in the book, but still managed to make 2 jars: one for Uni and one for home. This paste makes quick curries really easy and lasts well in the fridge. And it only cost £2.92 to make.

3. Lemon Curd (from Fast and Easy, page 227). I cannot tell you the number of times I have made this recipe over the summer. I've converted people who were anti-curd with this recipe and I could actually eat the whole jar in one go. It is soooo much nicer than the shop bought stuff and at £1.19, it isn't that badly priced either!

So, I'm all ready to go back to University! I'd better find Stanley's travel bag!

No comments:

Post a Comment